Call us today: 303-371-1822

한국어 | Español | Português

Updating Gender Markers on Immigration Documents

For several years now, USCIS has permitted its customers to update gender markers on their immigration documents, such as work permits, green cards, and other documents. The process for doing so is a very relaxed process. Transgender and intersex people can file fairly easily-accessed documentation, and USCIS has been very responsive to those who wish to update their records. This process was memorialized with temporary guidance issued by the agency on April 10, 2012 in Interim Memo PM-602-0061.

USCIS will correct a gender marker on any identity document issued by that agency if a letter certified by a licensed Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) is submitted. The letter should reflect the post-transition gender, and certify that this is the gender “based on standards and recommendations of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health.” 

The physician must be licensed, and must either be an M.D. or a D.O. The physician need not specialize in any given field and may be a general practitioner.  Statements from other professionals, such as psychologists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, social workers, health practitioners, chiropractors, etc., will not be accepted.

It should further be noted that proof of sex reassignment surgery is not required.

Finally, updating a name change that was entered by a state court is also a fairly easy process. We will typically request a certified copy of the court’s order changing the name to accompany the application packet for USCIS.

Please check in with your attorney for information related to updating gender markers or legal name changes on your immigration documents.

Why was my hearing scheduled for November 29, 2019...
The Often Overlooked Q-1 International Cultural Ex...

Related Posts

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

K & C Monthly Newsletter

Please sign up for our monthly Email Newsletter.

Office Location and Directions

Kolko & Casey, P.C.
5251 South Quebec Street
Suite 200
Greenwood Village, Colorado 80111

Call us today:

Connect with us

© 2022 Kolko & Casey, P.C.
Disclaimer | Sitemap

Kolko & Casey, P.C. is a full service immigration and naturalization law firm providing professional legal services to individuals and businesses throughout Colorado, the Rocky Mountain West, the United States, and the World. Our professional staff speaks English, Spanish, Korean, and Portuguese and we can arrange for translators in any other language.